Wednesday, October 5, 2011

RECOMMENDED: 7 Days (Les Sept Jours Du Talion)

I watched a wonderful movie last night that I'd like to recommend to my readers.  It's a French film from 2010 called 7 Days.

7 Days is the story of a successful surgeon whose eight-year-old daughter is raped and murdered.  A few days later, a local sex offender is arrested for the crime, and the detective in charge of the case assures the girl's father that her killer will go to prison for the rest of his life; there is solid DNA evidence, and no doubt that the authorities have their man.  The grief-stricken father has other plans, however.  He kidnaps the murderer as he is being transferred from one jail to another, and he proceeds to show the predator what it means to suffer.  He vows to continue his vengeance until the seventh day, which would have been his daughter's ninth birthday.

I've always been a big fan of revenge flicks.  But there's so much more to this film than just torture, bloodletting, and the castration you already know will ensue the second you read that synopsis (for the record:  no, you don't see it).  Oh, 7 Days is a brutal film.  No doubt about it.  The violence exacted upon the little girl's murderer made me cringe on more than one occasion (even as I found myself thinking, "Yeah, I'd probably do that too").

Yet, at the same time, I found 7 Days -- particularly one sequence about 3/4 of the way in -- to be one of the most heartwrenching things I have ever seen.  I cried.  I admit it.

Check it out.  This one gets my highest recommendation. 





* BTW:  the above trailer has no English subtitles, but the Region 1 DVD from MPI Home Video does

No comments:

Post a Comment